Today, we built the wedging table. It went really well and should be very stable. The next step is sanding and sealing with urethane. The wedging surface will be a big slab of Tupelo, at least that’s the plan.
I’m really excited about today’s progress becuase I now have all the big pieces on place for the studio. There’s still a lot of work to do, but this milestone marks all the big stuff needed to get to work.
The wedging table is built from plywood and premium 2×4’s. The top surface is 36″ x 24″ and it is 29″ tall. This anticipates a 2-2.5″ thick slab of tupelo which will be added to the top. That gives me about a 31″ height, which should be pretty comfortable for my height. The plywood was left over from the work tables we built last weekend. (There’s even enough left over to build another couple side tables to go along with the wheel.) Overall, I think this table cost about $50.00 to build, including screws and hardware for the cutting wire. I don’t think I could find much better. If anyone is interested, I’ll post parts and cut list.
For hardware, there will be a piece of angle iron on a back corner, with a cutting wire angling down to the front. Skip’s going to drill the angle iron for attachment.
The floor in the shop is concrete, but it’s not perfectly flat. Some shim adjustment will be needed, but when leveled, the table is solid as a rock. It will be placed in the back right side of the studio against the wall.
There should be enough storage on the lower shelf to hold 3-4 boxes of clay and perhaps a bucket for reuse.
In all the work I’ve done over the last few weekends in the shop, the one thing I’ve done so far that seemed to personalize it happened today. When I arrived, it was about 60 degrees outside. I found I wanted take off my jacket, but didn’t have a good place to put it. So, I put up a coat hanger that’s been in the office kitchen drawer for several years. Hanging the coat on the new hook was very satisfying. Silly, I know, but it’s starting to feel more like my place, rather than just a project.
Also this weekend, I filled in some gaps in the walls that were letting in cold air and who knows what else. I used the expanding foam sealant in a can. That stuff’s amazing! One has to be very careful when using it, but it’s still fun. And finally, I made trip to Harbor Freight in Winterville for a set of casters to put on the kiln screen. I found a set I liked that have wheels like clear rollerblade wheels. 2 of them lock. Should be fun setting up the kiln screen. Christian said she would paint something on it for me.